We went to Medieval Times on my birthday. We ate soup, chicken, and potatoes with our hands while watching knights riding horses and jousting. The knight we were cheering for threw Brooklyn a flower. It was really fun.



McKenzie & Samantha made me a birthday cake.
Back in December, one of the sliding doors on the van quit working and I just didn’t have time to take it in and get it fixed. It was a pain manually opening and closing the door multiple times a day.....but I just tried to remember the Palmer van when we were growing up that didn’t have automatic doors....or to put it correctly, an automatic door. I finally took it in to get it fixed. They quoted me $500 to change the motor. Luckily, their fiddling with it ($54 to assess the problem) got it working again. Kevin went out of town for a few days for business (Dallas & Vegas).....the same days it snowed and snowed here. I had to learn how to use the snowblower, which wasn’t too difficult, but I hate the smell of gas....particularly when it follows me inside on my clothes and in my hair.
McKenzie has been playing basketball with the Young Women and really enjoying it. Our team is small (6-8 girls), so she’s been able to play quite a bit and has learned a lot. McKenzie went in for an orthodontic consultation (she went in last year as well, but I wasn’t ready to commit to all the trips to the orthodontist yet) and will be getting braces soon. Samantha is thrilled. (Samantha gets jealous when McKenzie & Brooklyn get to eat anything sticky, hard, or chewy that she is not allowed to have.) After McKenzie’s math grades started to drop, Kevin took over helping her with her math homework (I’m too nice) and has worked her hard, particularly over the weekends when she gets lots of extra problems to solve. The work paid off - she got 100% on her last math test.
Samantha had several school projects due in January (that we just didn’t get around to working on much over the holidays) so she has been busy with homework. A couple weeks ago, she went in for a frenectomy to remove her frenulum (the fold of tissue between the upper front teeth that attaches to the top lip). Apparently, when the frenulum comes down too low it causes the front two teeth to separate, so without the frenectomy, after her braces were off, her front teeth would separate again. The dentist tried to do it with only a topical anaesthesia, but it was too painful so she ended up with two numbing shots. At her next orthodontic visit, they wired her front top teeth together, since the teeth next to her front ones still haven’t come down, even though they appear to have plenty of room.
Brooklyn started a little painting class with the park district. She really likes it. It’s just for an hour once a week, but that’s one less hour I hear “I’m bored”, and “Watch TV?” She is really looking forward to kindergarten. The first day the girls went back to school after winter break, Brooklyn knew it was a new year (2010), so she just assumed she was going to kindergarten. She was asking questions that morning about riding Samantha’s bus home. Her disappointment was apparent when I broke the bad news that she would still be going to preschool for several more months. Brooke decided that some of her belongings were having birthdays soon and she randomly chose February 1st as two of their - Stripe (blanket) and Dashy (i-dog) - birthdays. I don’t think she realized that February 1st was over 3 weeks away (or really how long that was). She has been making, buying (Stripe had to have store bought gifts), and wrapping presents for them all month. She’s been looking forward to their birthdays just as much (or more) than her own.


No comments:
Post a Comment